On March 16, a man by the name of Robert Aaron Long shot and killed eight people, six of whom were Asian women, in several Atlanta-area spas. The violent string of events occurred in the wake of nearly 3,800 hate incidents against Asian Americans and Pacific Islanders that were documented by the Stop AAPI Hate Reporting Centre in the last year, in addition to countless other racially motivated attacks that have gone unreported. These statistical findings were published just hours before the Atlanta attacks took place.
As discrimination, harassment, and hate crimes targeting the Asian American community continue to surge amid the COVID-19 pandemic, many reputable organisations are working around the clock to thwart these often-overlooked incidents and help those who face xenophobia every single day. Ahead, we've compiled a list of both Atlanta-based and national organisations and fundraisers you can support from home right now to do your part. Follow them on social media, amplify their handles to continue spreading awareness, and donate to them if you're able.
- National Asian Pacific American Women's Forum Atlanta Chapter: focuses on "building power" with and fighting for the rights of AAPI women and girls; you can donate here and follow on Instagram here
- Asian Americans Advancing Justice Atlanta Chapter: legal advocacy nonprofit advancing the civil rights of Asian Americans, Native Hawaiians, and Pacific Islanders in Georgia and the Southeast; you can donate here and follow on Instagram here
- Asian American Advocacy Fund: committed to "building a politically-conscious, engaged, and progressive Asian American base in Georgia;" you can donate here and follow on Instagram here
Other Organisations and Fundraisers
- Stop AAPI Hate: reporting centre that tracks and responds to anti-Asian hate incidents in the US; you can donate here and follow on Instagram here
- Support the AAPI Community Fund: GoFundMe that will allocate grants to AAPI organisations focussed on addressing racial inequities; you can donate here
- Red Canary Song: advocates for the safety of Asian and migrant sex workers; you can donate here and follow on Instagram here
- Asian Mental Health Collective: raises awareness about the importance of mental health care and makes it more accessible for the Asian community; you can donate here and follow on Instagram here
- Japanese American Citizens League: oldest and largest Asian American and Pacific Islander civil rights group in the US; you can donate here and follow on Instagram here
- CAAAV Organising Asian Communities: fights for racial, gender, and economic justice for Asian immigrant and refugee communities in New York City; you can donate here and follow on Instagram here
- Empowering Pacific Islander Communities: engages Native Hawaiian and Pacific Islander communities in "culture-centreed advocacy, research and leadership development;" you can donate here and follow on Instagram here
- Asian Americans For Equality offers Asian Americans and other systemically disadvantaged individuals based in NYC affordable housing, low-income loans, training and educational programs, and more; you can donate here and follow on Instagram here