Arika Hernandez, a mom from Utah, recently took to Facebook to share an important PSA with parents: get rid of your corded blinds, period. In a terrifying post, she detailed how her 3-year-old son Kai got seriously injured by a cord after he climbed on a bunk bed and it became wrapped around his neck.
"I have gone back and forth about posting this or not posting this but I believe if this post saves one child's life it's worth being vulnerable," she wrote. "Our sweet 3-year-old boy is a survivor. On January 7th our son climbed up to the top bunk bed and wrapped the blind cords around his neck. He then began to walk down the ladder. As the cords tightened, he panicked and tried to yell for mom and dad, but nothing came out."
After a few moments of desperately trying to free himself, the cord finally gave way.
"He scratched at the cords to loosen them, but all he could grab was skin," said Arika. "At the last attempt to get free, he jumped to come get us and that very jump saved his life! The cord snapped and freed him! We heard a loud thud (his jump) and then his loud scream! This was not just any scream — it is one I have never heard in my life and it will forever be ringing in my ears."
"This was not just any scream — it is one I have never heard in my life and it will forever be ringing in my ears."
Arika and her husband immediately took Kai to the hospital. And while they're relieved that he's OK, they know how lucky their son was.
"We took him to get checked out in the ER and they were very concerned and shocked," she said. "These blind cords are not meant to break. We are counting our blessings! God has big plans for our little boy, it was not his time to go. Please please please take my message and take action now!"
In an effort to raise awareness about this household danger, Arika hammered home how hazardous corded blinds are, regardless of whether your kids can reach them or not.
"NO CORDED BLINDS ARE SAFE! They now sell cordless blinds and they are worth every penny," she said. "Even if you cut the cords once the blinds are lifted up it creates a hazard. The cords can not be cut short to make them safer . . . there are still inner cords and if the cord is pulled so the blinds go all the way up, that pull cord will then be long enough to make a loop and strangle a child . . . These accidents can be prevented."
She continued: "You can never be too safe in your own home. This is something I didn't think my kids would do because I am constantly nagging them about not putting things around their neck. Kids will be kids and they explore. My son told me he was making a necklace and that's why it was around his neck . . . Most importantly hug the people that mean the most to you. Be grateful you have another beautiful day with them."