When your dishwasher isn't wafting the freshest scent or cleaning your dishes as it should, giving it a good cleaning may fix your problems. Instead of spending hours scrubbing, make these supereasy dishwasher bicarb bombs that do all the work for you. Along with being eco-friendly, this just-about-free cleaning solution does an amazing job freshening your dishwasher while cleaning all those nooks and crannies that collect bits of food, harbour mould — and all that other icky stuff.
What You'll Need:
- 360g cups bicarbonate of soda
- 3 tablespoons hydrogen peroxide
- 10 to 20 drops essential oil
- Mixing bowl
- Large spoon or ice cream scoop
- Baking paper
- Sheet trap
- 500ml vinegar
- 1 tablespoon washing up liquid
- Ceramic or glass bowl
- Start by giving your dishwasher a quick clean. Use a damp sponge to wipe around the door and along the bottom edges, and check the drain for any food bits, which is a bit gross but a necessary step.
- Now mix together the bicarbonate of soda, hydrogen peroxide, and essential oil in a mixing bowl until it resembles damp sand. Use a large spoon or ice cream scoop to mould the dishwasher bombs, and then gently tap out onto a baking paper-lined sheet tray. The bicarbonate of soda naturally scrubs your dishwasher, while the hydrogen peroxide cleans and whitens, and the essential oil gives your washer a fresh scent. Let the bombs dry for several hours or overnight.
- Fill a glass or ceramic bowl with the vinegar, and add your favourite washing up liquid. Mix together, and place on the top rack of your dishwasher. Place one bomb on the bottom rack in the cutlery holder, and run your dishwasher set on the hottest setting. Once your dishwasher cycle is complete, open and enjoy a sparkling-clean dishwasher!
For more eco-friendly cleaning products, take a peek at our favourite DIYs!