Instead of picking up expensive kits made with questionable ingredients that may be harsh on skin (and leave lingering marks the next day), try making your own. It's easier than you think and only costs a few pounds to pull off.
What You'll Need:
- Corn flour
- Face lotion
- 1/4 teaspoon vegetable oil
- Washable paints, natural food colouring, or homemade dyes
- Small containers
- Small bowl
- Start by making a base for the face paints by mixing together equal parts corn flour and your favourite face lotion until it forms a thick mixture. Add the vegetable oil, which helps the paint from caking. You want things to be smooth without being too watery.
- Now add a spoonful of the mixture to a small container and add a pea-sized amount of washable paint. You can find packs of colourful washable paints at your local craft store for only a few pounds. Using washable paint instead of natural food colouring creates solid colours that won't stain clothes — or your face. Most are nontoxic and, when diluted, are safe to use on skin. Just remember to avoid using around the eye and mouth areas. You can also swap for a few drops of natural food colouring or homemade dyes.
- Continue adding colours until you've got an entire set of face paint. For a bit of shimmer, sprinkle glitter eye shadow into containers or swipe over finished face paint for allover glitter.
- Apply using face sponges or lip brushes for creating details. Paint will dry creating a smudge-free look. For a smoother application, add a few drops of water to the paints. Not sure how to get started? Here are some great tips and tricks for applying face paint for tons of Halloween fun. As with any new makeup, rub a bit of the face paint on skin to check for reaction before applying.
Don't feel like picking up a set of washable paints? Substitute with a few drops of natural food colouring, which also creates vibrant face paints. Just be warned that using food colouring may stain skin and clothing.