Freshen things fast with toilet fizzies that clean and eliminate smells. And (ahem) this solution is much better than lighting a match. Personalise with your favourite scents and your bathroom will be the best-smelling spot in your home. Stash in a cute container on your toilet and simply drop in a small fizzy when needed.
What You'll Need:
- 180g bicarbonate of soda
- 45g cup citric acid
- 1/2 teaspoon vinegar
- 1 tablespoon hydrogen peroxide
- 15 to 20 drops essential oil
- Baking tray
- Greaseproof paper
- Measuring spoons
- Spray bottle (optional)
- Add the bicarbonate of soda to a mixing bowl and use a fork to break up any clumps. Baking soda naturally cleans and eliminates odors, making it the perfect base for the fizzies. Add the citric acid, and give things a stir. The citric acid adds the oomph to these cleaners.
- In a small glass, mix together the vinegar and hydrogen peroxide, which work together to help clean your loo. Now drop by drop, add the vinegar and hydrogen peroxide to the bicarbonate of soda. If you add the liquid all at once, you'll have a huge mess due to the reaction between the bicarbonate of soda and citric acid!
- Now add the essential oil and gently mix. Any fragrance works wonderfully, but something fresh like wintergreen, lemongrass, or lavender leaves a wonderful lingering scent.
- Use a half teaspoon measure to scoop and mould the mixture into small half rounds and then tap onto a baking tray lined with greaseproof paper. You can spritz the rounds with equal parts vinegar and water to create a crust, which helps hold them together. Leave to dry for at least four hours or overnight.
- Place the dried fizzies in a sealable glass jar and keep next to your loo, making sure to stick on a label so they aren't mistaken for breath mints! The next time things get smelly, after flushing, drop in a tablet and you'll love how things freshen up in no time.
Makes around 30 small fizzies.