Don't throw out those coffee grounds! Put them to good use with this easy-to-make soap that's a perfect gift for the person in your life that loves a strong cup o' joe. These soaps are seriously easy to make and exfoliate and deodorise, leaving skin nice and healthy without any cloying scents.
What You'll Need:
- 225g glycerin soap
- Around 25g used coffee grounds
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon powdered milk (optional)
- Small saucepan
- Small metal or glass bowl
- Muffin tin
- Butter knife
- Gather together what you'll need for making the soap. Adding the powdered milk gives the soap a bit of substance, but isn't an essential ingredient. You can also add a little coconut oil to help soften the skin.
- Create a double boiler by filling the small saucepan with 250ml water, topping with the metal or glass bowl, and placing over medium heat. Now add the soap to the bowl and let it melt completely with the help of the steam from the boiling water below, which only takes a couple of minutes.
- While the soap is melting, lightly grease four sections of a muffin tin and place a small spoonful of coffee grounds at the base of each. Once the soap has become liquid, turn off the heat, add the vanilla, and add one teaspoon of the coffee grounds. You can also add the powdered milk and give things a stir.
- Now carefully ladle the soap into the muffin tin, filling to the top of each round. Allow the soaps to cool for several hours, and then pop them out with the help of a butter knife. Wrap in parchment paper and you're ready to gift them (or use them yourself)!
The homemade soap cleans with a java-infused lather, but remind your lucky recipient to keep his or her soap on a soap dish or tray to prevent unwanted coffee stains.
Along with making homemade soap, here are a few more uses for used coffee grounds.