When your crisp white dress shirt or favourite tee starts yellowing around the collar or under the arms — don't sweat. Removing those unsightly stains is easier than you think with the help of natural ingredients that will leave that article of clothing looking fresh. And this eco-friendly cleaning solution costs basically nothing, which means the money you save on dry cleaning can go toward an indulgent coffee at your favourite spot.
What You'll Need:
- 240 ml vinegar
- 140 grams cup baking soda
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon hydrogen peroxide
- Most think sweat stains are caused by sweat, but they are actually the result of a reaction between aluminium-based antiperspirants and your body. To attack the discolouration, soak the shirt in a bowl filled with the vinegar and 480 ml warm water. Soak for at least 20 minutes.
- Mix together the baking soda, salt, and hydrogen peroxide until it forms a paste. Remove the shirt from the vinegar water and gently squeeze until the shirt is just damp. Lay flat on a towel-covered work surface and coat the stains with the mixture. Hydrogen peroxide is a natural whitening agent, and baking soda and salt work together to lift the stain. Let sit for at least 20 minutes.
- Toss the shirt in the laundry with a load of whites and wash. Voilà! Now you can take off your jacket and raise your arms proudly without worrying about flashing nasty stains.
Product Credit: Banana Republic top, Reiss bottom, Newbark shoes, ADORNIA, Fallon rings, Bobbi Brown sunglasses