If you're worried about getting sick during the coronavirus outbreak, chances are you're taking all of the necessary steps to stay healthy (washing your hands, not touching your face, wiping down frequently used surfaces, etc.). But one issue many people have encountered during this time is essential cleaning supplies being sold out everywhere due to popular demand. Instead of searching far and wide for expensive cleaning wipes, did you know you can actually make your own for less than a dollar? With vinegar and washing up liquid, you'll love how this easy DIY can be made over and over with the help of a repurposed coffee canister. Made from all-natural ingredients, you can even add a few sprinkles of your favourite essential oil to personalise these eco-friendly cleaning wipes.
What You'll Need
- One-pound coffee canister with plastic lid
- Paper towel roll
- Sharp knife
- 1/2 cup vinegar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup rubbing alcohol
- 1 teaspoon washing up liquid
- 10 drops essential oil (optional)
- Spray paint (optional)
- The ingredients for these homemade wipes cost just about nothing, which means you can have a can of wipes in every room of your home. Vinegar does an amazing job of cleaning while naturally whisking away germs, preventing mould, and killing bacteria. And you can use your favourite washing up liquid or make your own.
- Repurposing an old coffee can for this DIY creates a container that can be used over and over again. Either leave the can as is, or give it a quick coat of spray paint, inside and out, for a fresh look and to keep the inside of the can from rusting.
- To create the cleaning wipes, cut the paper towels in half using a sharp serrated knife, and squish them into the painted can. And using eco-friendly paper towels makes this DIY even greener.
- Mix together the vinegar, washing up liquid, rubbing alcohol, and water in a small bowl. You can add several drops of essential oil to the wipes, which personalises the cleaner and boosts its antibacterial powers.
- Slowly pour the liquid over the paper towels. Once they're saturated, carefully remove the cardboard centre, and pull a paper towel from the middle.
- Press a craft needle through the centre of the plastic lid several times, and then fit the scissors through to cut a circle from the centre, around one half-inch in diameter.
- Now feed the paper towel through the hole in the plastic lid, and secure it to the painted coffee can (to keep the wipes moist, just add a few drops of water into the canister). Now you have homemade wipes that are great at cleaning and disinfecting your home!