Each month's full moon not only has its own name and story, but it also has a spiritual meaning and an impact on each zodiac sign. In January, there's a wolf moon halfway through the month, when the moon is at its biggest and brightest — and completely full. Many believe in various powers of a full moon, including charging water with moonlight to cleanse and empower yourself for the upcoming month. As each full moon signals the turnover into the next phase — of the moon, of time, and of your life — it's the perfect marker for turning over your own new leaf. Ahead, you can learn more about the wolf moon for 2022, as well as what January may bring for your zodiac sign. POPSUGAR spoke with an astrologer to garner some insight on what each sign may experience at the start of 2022 as the wolf moon rises to its peak.
Why Is It Called the Wolf Moon?
According to the Old Farmer's Almanac, the wolf moon is named as such because of legends from long ago. "It's thought that January's full Moon came to be known as the Wolf Moon because wolves were more likely to be heard howling at this time," it says. While the wolves were once assumed to be howling because of hunger, over time the howling was understood as a way to mark territory, hunt, and find other pack members. In the end, regardless of the true reason behind the howling, the name for the full January moon stuck, thanks to the vocal wolves.
When Is the Full Wolf Moon in 2022 in the UK?
The wolf moon will be at its peak on Monday, 17 Jan., 2022, at exactly 11:48 p.m. GMT.
What Sign Is the Moon in January?
January's full wolf moon is in Cancer.
What Is the Spiritual Meaning of the Wolf Moon?
"The wolf moon that comes in the dead of winter is a time for transformation and introspection," Stina Garbis, psychic and astrologer, tells POPSUGAR. "It is a time of figuring out what you need in order to have a successful life. It's also a time of seeing what's missing and finding truth in what you long for. It's about sacrifice and finding personal truth and discovering your purpose and how it relates to the bigger picture and society as a whole."
What Does the Wolf Moon Mean For Each Zodiac Sign?
- Aquarius: Watch out, Aquarius. Garbis says Aquarius "may have challenges with expression of their feelings, and they may be caught in a lie".
- Pisces: January should be a lucky time for Pisces, and they might find new love, new fortune, or something else they've been seeking.
- Aries: January looks like a struggle for Aries, but don't give up. You may have some stumbling blocks in your personal relationships, but you can definitely get through it.
- Taurus: January may be a time for creative freedom for a Taurus. "This would be a good time for Taurus to start a creative project that brings even more wealth to this naturally abundant sign," Garbis says.
- Gemini: It looks like an eye-opening month for Geminis. "This can also be a time where hidden intentions of people around them are revealed," Garbis says, adding that miscommunication could be a big problem this month.
- Cancer: January could be huge for Cancers, and Garbis says they "may experience an 'aha' moment where they figure out how they fit into this world". They also may get the opportunity of a lifetime.
- Leo: For Leos, January is a time of introspection. Garbis shares, "This may be a fortunate time for Leo, who may come to an understanding about their true feelings in a relationship or towards themselves."
- Virgo: Money could be at the forefront of the new year for a Virgo as they go through challenges with what they have. It might be time for a new financial project to start 2022.
- Libra: The year will have a bold start for Libras, who may find themselves with a burst of creativity. According to Garbis, though, they may "suffer for their art and express pain through beauty".
- Scorpio: The beginning of the year is a time for Scorpio to find themselves by putting their own wants and needs first. It'll start 2022 off on the right foot.
- Sagittarius: January will be up and down for Sagittarius, but the low points won't last long. Higher highs are on the horizon.
- Capricorn: Those new year's resolutions for accountability might be a good idea for Capricorns. The beginning of the year is the time to kick those bad habits and have your friends and family hold you accountable.
When Is the Next Full Moon?
The full moon following January's wolf moon is February's snow moon on 16 Feb., 2022. The next wolf moon is 6 Jan., 2023.