Image Source: Unsplash / Hilary Hahn
Turmeric has been dubbed the new wonder spice: it's popping up everywhere lately, from makeup to desserts. Not only does turmeric lend a fantastic flavour and colour to almost any dish, it is more effective as an anti-inflammatory than pain relievers such as aspirin and ibuprofen, and it has antioxidant, anti-obesity, anti-carcinogenic, anti-angiogenic and anti-inflammatory properties. Turmeric for the win!
- In Dessert. Turmeric desserts are the best. Yes, you can easily add turmeric to your diet by sprinkling it into savory dishes like stir-fries or cauliflower rice, but did you know you can also use it for dessert? Make these magical turmeric brookies for a real treat that's not only nourishing but also vegan and gluten-free.
- In Your Makeup. This multitasking makeup conceals, corrects, and illuminates your skin plus it contains turmeric. The turmeric is said to brighten your skin and reduce puffiness and fine lines.
- Pop a Supplement. Adding a turmeric supplement can prevent joint pain and decrease inflammation, which is great if you're training for a marathon or simply looking to increase your flexibility. It's also an easy way to sneak turmeric into your daily routine, as long as you know just how much to take to reap its benefits.
- Hair Products. What? Yes. Seriously, this is a fantastic shampoo with turmeric added, and not only could it heal scalp issues, it is nourishing and soothing for almost any hair type. Plus, the ingredients are responsibly sourced.
- In a Golden Latte. Simply stir 1/2 teaspoon turmeric into steamed coconut milk (about half a can's worth of regular or light coconut milk) along with 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract, 1/2 tablespoon maple syrup, and a sprinkle each of cinnamon, nutmeg, and cardamom for a rich and creamy vegan golden latte. And you do not have to stop there — bake turmeric mini muffins for the ultimate comforting and delicious combo.
- In Breakfast. These fluffy perfectly sweet golden muffins are a great breakfast or snack option. This recipe is super fast and easy; about 20 minutes start to finish, and Paleo and gluten-free. They are also mini muffins, which is a fantastic trick for portion control.
- Swap out your creamer for turmeric creamer. OK, so you need a little caffeine. I have 2-year-old twins, so I'm right there with you. Skip that (yummy) golden turmeric latte and stir some turmeric creamer into your coffee.
- As Lotion. Your skin absorbs way more than you might think — as in about 75 percent of what you put on it. Putting a healing and inflammatory ingredient like turmeric is a no-brainer; it'll soothe skin issues and keep your skin feeling refreshed. Try this organic lotion with no parabens for a luxurious skin cream and reduce under-eye puffiness and dark circles.
- Morning Energy Boost. Apple cider vinegar is reportedly a metabolism-booster and appetite suppressant but it's also a bit harsh to drink straight apple cider vinegar. (Trust me, I've tried it). Luckily these Turmeric & Honey Raw Organic Apple Cider Vinegar shots are an easy on-the-go way to get in your dose of turmeric and rev that metabolism.
- Face Masks. Face masks seem to be all the rage lately and it's easy to see why. They are easy to apply and give you instant results, and this organic turmeric clay face mask is no exception.
Image Source: Maiah Miller
Image Source: Unsplash / Artem Bali
Whatever your method, give turmeric a chance to show your body how good you can look and feel with the wonderful healing properties of turmeric.