When you want your house to feel as cosy as slipping on a sweater in the Fall, turn on your oven, and bake this pumpkin bread. It's not your basic recipe — this easy pumpkin bread has half the sugar and over twice the protein as a typical recipe, but tastes just as amazing.
The protein comes from a simple baking trick: swapping out some of the flour for protein powder. This bread is dairy-free and egg-free, and is oh-so-subtly sweet and warmly spiced. It makes a healthy breakfast, packed with over nine grams of satiating protein and four grams of fibre, but is delicious enough to enjoy as dessert.
- 1 3/4 cups white whole wheat flour
1 1/2 servings plant-based protein powder (I used Vega Sport Performance Protein Powder, 3/4 cup)
1/3 cup organic sugar
2 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
3 tablespoons dairy-free chocolate chips (save 1 tablespoon for topping)
1 cup + 2 tablespoons canned pumpkin
1/2 cup unsweetened soy milk
4 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon maple syrup
1 tablespoon chopped pecans (optional for topping)
- Preheat the oven to 365°F.
- Lightly apply cooking spray to one loaf pan.
- Mix all the dry ingredients together, and set aside.
- In another bowl, mix the pumpkin, soy milk, oil, and maple syrup.
- Add wet ingredients to the dry and mix well.
- Pour batter into prepared pan, add toppings, and bake for 50 to 60 minutes.
- 8 servings
- Total Time
- 59 minutes, 59 seconds
- Calories per serving