As a plant-based eater and someone who practices intermittent fasting, as my first meal of the day, I crave one enormous salad for lunch. It's made with tons of fresh greens and raw veggies like cucumbers, shredded carrots, bell peppers, sugar snap peas, cherry tomatoes, and I top it with tofu, beans, or a chopped veggie burger for protein. To increase the protein even more, my salad isn't complete until I top it with these three seeds, which combined add 11.4 grams of protein.
- 2 tablespoons hemp seeds = 6.6 grams of protein, 120 calories
- 1 tablespoon pumpkin seeds = 3 grams of protein, 50 calories
- 1 tablespoon sunflower seeds = 1.8 grams of protein, 50 calories
Adding seeds to your salad is such an easy way to increase the protein in your bowl, but it also adds healthy fats and fibre, contributing to the satiety of your meal. Whenever I hit up Trader Joe's, those three seeds always make it into my cart. But variety is always great, so here are three other seeds you can try:
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds = 2 grams of protein, 60 calories
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds = 1.5 grams of protein, 52 calories
- 1 tablespoon ground flaxseed = 1 gram of protein, 37 calories