Hot cross buns are up there with Cadbury's cream eggs as Easter eats that are too delicious to refuse, despite being insanely calorific. But restriction is no way to maintain a healthy lifestyle, and while we may not have a healthier alternative to chocolate eggs, we sure do have one for hot cross buns. Read on for the 30-minute buns that have Iskra Lawrence's seal of approval.
- For the buns:
- 120ml milk of your choice
- 60g unsalted butter
- 60ml rice malt syrup
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 lemon, juiced
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 105g wholemeal spelt flour
- 35g dried apricots, finely chopped
- 32g sultanas
- 1/2 Granny Smith apple, julienned
- 2 teaspoon butter, to serve
- For the glaze:
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon rice malt syrup
- 1 tablespoon hot water
- Preheat your oven to 180°C and line a 12-hole muffin tray with muffin cases.
- Place the milk, butter, syrup, egg, lemon and spice in a food processor, and blitz until the mix is combined.
- In a bowl, mix bicarbonate of soda, baking powder and flour. Make a well in the middle of the bowl, and mix in the wet ingredients, followed by the apricots and sultanas.
- Spoon the mixture evenly into muffin moulds, and place 2 slices of apple in a cross on top of each bun.
- Place the tray in the oven and bake for 15 minutes, or until cooked through.
- While the buns bake, mix your glaze ingredients in a small bowl.
- Remove buns from oven and brush them over with the glaze while they're still hot, then enjoy.
- 12 buns
- Total Time
- 35 minutes