Remember when we were all making banana bread back in March? Those were interesting times, but I have to admit that I got a little bored a few loaves in. I needed to mix up my fruity bread game for some fun new options, so I began searching for the perfect recipe, and I instantly knew I found it in this ridiculously good cherry bread. It's delicate, decadent, and unexpected. Using maraschino cherries makes it a breeze to make, and its gorgeous rosy hue is so beautiful (feel free to enjoy a slice with a glass of Champagne). It's perfect for any time and makes for a great breakfast, afternoon treat, or dessert.
And don't be afraid to make a few adjustments to this recipe to really make it your own. I like a bold vanilla flavour, so I added an additional teaspoon of extract into my mix to punch up the results. I also prefer mini loaves and found that a mini loaf pan produced adorable results. If you don't have almond extract for the glaze, vanilla (and orange!) extracts work beautifully. Mini chocolate chips really add a layer of dimension to this as well. The recipe provides a perfect base of experimentation. Check it out ahead — you'll love it!
This bread is amazing when served chilled. It really brings out the flavors.
Don't be afraid to add in an extra teaspoon of vanilla extract into the base. I did, and I think the recipe is better for it.
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup oil
1 large egg
1-2 teaspoon(s) vanilla extract (or almond extract)
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 jars maraschino cherries* (10 ounces each)
2 cups powdered sugar
2 tablespoons melted butter
1/3 cup maraschino cherry juice
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix sugar, milk, oil, egg, and vanilla.
- In a separate bowl, mix flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Combine the dry ingredients with the wet ingredients. Do not over mix.
- Drain and chop (I used a blender) your cherries. Make sure to keep the juice for the glaze.
- Add the cherries into your bread mix, folding in gently.
- Pour your batter into a well buttered loaf pan. I used mini loaves because I found them to be cuter.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes if using a full-size loaf pan, and 35-40 if using mini loaves.
- Test with a knife after baking to make sure it comes out clean.
- Do not overbake. It's best to use shorter baking times and add time as needed.
- Once bread is finished baking, allow to cool completely.
- As your bread cools, you can begin the glaze.
- Combine powdered sugar, melted butter, cherry juice, and almond extract. Mix glaze until smooth and silky.
- When bread is fully cooled, top with glaze.
- Chill and enjoy!
- 1 loaf, or 3-4 mini loaves
- Prep Time
- 15 minutes
- Cook Time
- 50 minutes
- Total Time
- 1 hour, 4 minutes, 59 seconds