Every Thanksgiving, my grandma's stuffing is usually the talk of the night. When I was younger, I didn't understand why it was such a big deal, but now it's truly the dish I look forward to each year. Unfortunately, stuffing is traditionally not vegetarian or vegan, as it's usually cooked inside a turkey or with other meat flavours/add-ins. With this easy vegan stuffing recipe, there's no turkey involved, and you'll have a delicious dish that tastes just like Grandma's classic.
Thanks to Deryn at Running on Real Food, I had all my roommates piled into our kitchen for Thanksgiving dinner after I had made this easy dish with just a few ingredients. Chop up a few veggies ans dry bread, mix it all together, and bake. You'll be feeling thankful for this recipe in an hour!
- 10 cups of cubed whole-grain bread
1 white or yellow onion, diced (approx. 2 cups)
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 medium carrots, diced (approx. 1.5 cups)
4 ribs of celery, chopped (approx. 2 cups)
2 teaspoons of dried or freshly chopped sage
1 teaspoon of ground or freshly chopped thyme
1/2 teaspoon of dried rosemary
1-2 cups of vegetable broth
salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- You can dry out the bread one of two ways: bake the bread in the oven for 10-15 minutes until lightly crispy and browned, or leave the cubed bread out overnight.
- Add the carrots, onion, garlic, and celery to a skillet over medium-high heat. Add 2-3 tablespoons vegetable broth. Cook for 7-8 minutes until soft.
- After 7-8 minutes, stir in herbs and cook for 4-5 more minutes, adding more stock as needed.
- Once the bread is dried, add it to the veggies. Start by adding 1 cup of vegetable broth, mixing and adding more broth as needed.
- You want the bread to be moist, but not soaked. Start with one cup and slowly add. You'll probably use 1-3 cups.
- Move the stuffing to a casserole dish. Cover with foil and bake for 35 minutes. Remove the foil and bake for another 10-15 minutes until golden brown
- Serve immediately or store for up to a week.
- Side Dishes, Stuffing/dressing