If you're looking to lose weight and have had no luck with diets, intermittent fasting (IF) can help aid in your weight-loss journey. There are various ways to follow IF, like the 5:2 and 16:8 plans, but like all diets, it's not for everyone.
Marci Nevins, NASM certified trainer, explained how to know whether or not you should partake in intermittent fasting. She wrote that IF has benefits such as improving productivity and clarity and helping you burn more fat for fuel. She warns that IF is not for everyone, noting that, "fasting is a stressor...it can have a negative consequences, specifically on hormones." According to Marci, to find success with intermittent fasting you should meet the following criteria:
- You have a healthy relationship with food.
- You can control your eating after you break the fast.
- You feel sharper and more productive during the fast.
- You're in good health.
- You have little stress or it's well managed.
She doesn't suggest intermittent fasting for those with:
- A history of disordered eating
- Those who will overeat once they break the fast
- Those who are preoccupied with food during the fast
- Those with hormonal issues
- Those experiencing a lot of stress