Skip Nav

McDonald's Milkshake Calories

This Photo Will Make You Rethink That Sugary Fast-Food Beverage

Ordering a milkshake from a fast-food place may seem innocent enough. Sure, you know it's full of liquid sugar and empty calories, but sometimes you just have to treat yourself. And while there's nothing wrong with enjoying a treat every once in a while, it certainly won't leave you feeling as satisfied as an entire meal made out of whole foods would.

As Amanda Meixner (@meowmeix on Instagram) showed in a photo, a strawberry milkshake from a fast-food joint clocks in at nearly 600 calories, while for that same amount of calories, you could get a full, hearty meal. Although Amanda doesn't call out McDonald's by name, a medium strawberry milkshake from McDonald's is 590 calories, 18 grams of fat, 95 grams of carbs, and 84 grams of sugar (!!!).

Instead, for 590 calories, Amanda shows how you can have a giant salad with spinach, cauliflower, cherry tomatoes, orange bell peppers, two eggs, kimchi, beets, and half an avocado, topped with two tablespoons of balsamic dressing and one cup of whole strawberries on the side.

"While it's totally great to treat yourself, being aware of your choices and what that means for the rest of your day is important!" she wrote in her caption.

It's true, you can enjoy treats like milkshakes in your diet if you make room for them or are following the 80/20 rule, where you eat whole, healthy foods 80 percent of the time and indulge in cheats and treats the other 20 percent of the time. But in general, it's best not to make sugary drinks a habit. Not only will ingesting all the liquid sugar result in weight gain, but it's also bad for your overall health. Soda, which has an average of 40 grams of sugar per serving, has been linked to diabetes, belly fat, and cancer.

Instead, sip on some refreshing detox waters for flavour and enjoy a full, hearty meal that will leave you feeling satisfied and help you accomplish your weight-loss goals.

Latest Health & Fitness