Fact: cannabis can be equally as great for both medicinal and recreational purposes, but the fact that it can get you high often discredits its many medicinal and wellness benefits. Once you get past the stigma and recognise the plant for what it's truly capable of, there are endless ways to incorporate it into your wellness routine.
Cannabis use doesn't start and end on the couch, as many misinformed people believe. In fact, it can enhance activities such as yoga or hiking and even help you manage a debilitating mental health disorder. It can be used as a social activity, a prebed ritual — the list goes on. Here are just a few ways you can tie weed and wellness together.
- CBD Oil: CBD is known as the nonpsychoactive cannabinoid, and it's increasingly being used as a natural anxiety aid. Not only is it completely legal in 49 US states, but many find it effective for combating symptoms of anxiety, including panic attacks. CBD oil in particular is great for this purpose and can be taken orally.
- High-CBD Strains: Smoking or vaping strains with high levels of THC — which is responsible for getting you high — may worsen your symptoms. When it comes to flower, look for strains that have a higher CBD to THC ratio, like Ringo's Gift or Charlotte's Web. And remember that the key to a pleasant high is often controlling your doses (meaning don't smoke too much!). If you're not a frequent user, start off with one hit or puff first.
- CBD Tea: If smoking or eating edibles isn't your cup of tea, maybe drinking tea is. Buddha Teas chamomile tea and Kikoko's Sympa-Tea both contain water-soluble CBD, meaning you won't detect any oil while sipping.
- Strains: Most strains can produce a relaxing effect, but some are better than others. Harlequin (sativa) is high in CBD, which will help you chill without feeling paranoid, while Northern Lights (indica) produces a mellow and euphoric high that quiets the mind. Prefer a hybrid? Blue Dream is a fantastic option that both soothes and energizes.
- CBD Bath Bombs: A nice hot bath will probably do the trick alone, but drop in a CBD bath bomb and it's game over. Try Kush Queen's Relax CBD Bath Bomb, created to relax the body and boost mood.
- 1:1 (THC to CBD) Edibles: Edibles can be tricky because you never quite know how much to take. Again, always start with one and build up as needed — except wait at least an hour before taking another. A good rule of thumb is to look for options that contain 5 milligrams of THC and 5 milligrams of CBD for a nice balance.
- High-CBD Vape Pens: Look for pens and refill cartridges that are specifically created for relaxation. The Select Relax lavender pen and Dosist's Calm pen are both great products to consider.
For Pain Relief
- Topicals: Due to the lack of research on cannabis in general, the effectiveness of infused topicals on pain and soreness is still being debated. However, many report great results using products like Mary Jane's Medicinals cannabis-infused lotion and healing salve and Sagely Naturals Hemp CBD Cream Relief & Recovery.
- CBD Massage: More spas are beginning to incorporate CBD into their services, as it's said to help reduce inflammation and relieve pain. But if a spa day isn't within your budget, purchase your own CBD massage oil and work the affected area yourself.
- Hybrid and Indica Strains: Sativas are great for daytime use but stick to indica or hybrid strains for treating pain. They'll produce more of a full-body effect rather than an uplifting head high.
- Vape Pen: The Sleep pen by Dosist was formulated for a good night's rest. The 8:1 THC-to-CBD blend contains sleep-promoting terpenes that help relax your mind and body.
- CBD Bath Bomb: Kush Queen's Sleep CBD Bath Bomb is an awesome product to add to your bedtime routine. Not only does it smell amazing, but it'll also put you right to sleep once you step out the tub.
- Indica Strains: Smoke or vape an indica strain, like Canndescent's Calm or Skywalker OG, at least a couple hours before hitting the sheets to avoid waking up groggy. It's the perfect prebed ritual that will lead you to a deep and restful sleep.