Weighted Walking Lunges — Target Your Quads and Glutes
To complete weighted lunges, you can hold dumbbells in your hands down by your sides or use a barbell held across the back of your neck and shoulders. "Using weights will speed up your results. I recommend using weights for lunges if you have mastered bodyweight walking lunges," Chadwell said.
- Find a long, straight pathway in your gym.
- Stand upright, with your feet together.
- Begin the move by taking a step forward with your right leg.
- While keeping your upper body upright and straight, lower your hips toward the floor by bending both knees to a nearly 90-degree angle. Your back knee will come close to the floor, but it should not touch it. Your front knee should be in line with your first two toes but never pass them, and the back knee should be pointing toward the floor.
- Next, push off with your left foot. Bring it back to the original starting position. This completes one rep.
- Next, step forward with your right foot and repeat the above steps.
- Alternate your steps for a total of 20 reps per set.