On Dec. 20, the FDA released a statement warning parents about the dangers of allowing babies to use teething jewellery. The group said that certain teething jewellery worn by either adults or babies can have serious negative health effects.
"The FDA has received reports of death and serious injuries to infants and children, including strangulation and choking, caused by necklaces and bracelets often marketed for relieving teething pain," the report said. "The risks of using teething jewellery include choking, strangulation, injury to the mouth, and infection. Choking may occur if the jewellery breaks and small beads or the whole piece of jewellery enter the child's throat or airway."
Recently, the FDA got a report about a 7-month-old baby choking on a wooden teething bracelet while his parents were watching him. There was also another terrifying instance when an 18-month-old baby died from strangulation while napping with an amber teething necklace.
Rather than opting for an amber, marble, silicone, or wooden teething device, experts recommend "gently rubbing or massageing the gums with a clean finger" or getting your child a rubber teething ring that's not actually frozen, as it could damage the baby's gums.